Our Mission for Serving Jesus by Serving Others

Friday, September 19, 2008

O Worship the King?

Don't forget to check out the new poll guys!

I'm hoping that the title of this post gave a hint as to what the post is about. If you guessed worship, you should go get yourself a cookie because you're right. Please wait until you're done reading this to get the cookie, though.
Lately, Lauren and I have been thinking a lot about what true worship is. A good friend of mine once told me that worship is focusing your mind's attention and your heart's affection on something. Notice how I said 'something' instead of God. Not everyone worships God, but everyone worships something.
I know that the wonderful sport of football has started back up. I am a huge fan of football. I can tell you all of the signals and what they mean. I've even painted my face for some games. I just love football. But I know people who go beyond just loving the fun of the game to actually worshipping the game or maybe the players. It's all they think about, and it's the most important thing in their lives. They will put aside everything else in their life to yell at the refs on the TV screen. They worship football.
It doesn't have to be football either. It could be any sport, a band, a piece of technology, a relationship, maybe even things such as alcohol or drugs. People worship these things because they focus their mind's attention and their heart's affection on them.
God calls us to worship Him. He doesn't want us to have any other gods before Him. It's the first commandment. The next commandment tells us not to make an idol out of anything. A lot of people wonder why God is so jealous. Has it occurred to you that when someone worships a team or person they can get disappointed? When people worship a piece of technology, the technology can break. When people worship alcohol or drugs, they cause harm to themselves and the people around them. Perhaps, besides that fact that God is fully deserving of our worship, He calls us to worship Him because it's what is best for us. And that is always what God wants for us, the best.

In Service to the King,
Sarah

No comments: